Sir George Doughty, born on 13 March 1854 at 8 Robinson Street, Grimsby He was the son of a farmer, William Doughty from Grimsby.
George was educated at the Wesleyan Higher Grade School in George Street, Grimsby. Certainly in May 1862 he was transferred from the Infants to the Upper School. This school was still in existence in 1908, when it was visited by Bob Lincoln, author of Sir George Doughty . The headteacher was an E.J.Wright.
At the age of 13, George left school and worked for a Mark Shepherd (Fudge) who had a furniture shop at the front and a workshop at the rear. This was on the corner of Wellington Street and Freeman Street, now known as the Wellington Arms, a pub.
He left after a short time and was apprenticed to Johnny Brown a builder of Victoria Street, by his father William. During his apprenticeship he joined a debating society, which was held in the Baptist School Room in Burgess Street. He considered joining the The Primitive Ministry, but his father could not afford the fees. Out of his apprenticeship he joined up with a George Woodhead, forming Woodhead & Doughty. They had premises near the footbridge in the Central Market which in 1912 were owned by Beels & Axe.
He fell in love with Rebecca Vere, neice of John Vere, whose firm was Smith, Stephenson & Vere Engineers. Rebecca worked as a grocery assistant in a store run by Henry Smethurst Senior (later an Alderman). This shop was located in Victoria Street, near Lock Hill, next to Kirk’s the butchers (now Wolfe’s in 1912).